Four years ago as we returned home from my father’s funeral we discovered that our cat, Callie, who had recently had a litter of kittens had been poisoned and was dead. All the kittens died in the next couple of days except this kitten we named Luci because of her red fur. Our puppy of one year, Peppi, helped us welcome Luci into our home and keep her safe. As you can see from the pictures Peppi had quite a job teaching Luci how to eat properly from the pet dishes.
These two wonderful little pets sat with me calmly in my lap and loved me as I grieved my father and best friend’s passing. Peppi seemed to understand that Luci and I both were going through the pain of loss and welcomed the new little kitten stranger into her most special personal spot, my lap.
-Donald R. Sansbury, 2013